Thursday, May 23, 2013

Cody

Introduction: In this piece I had to write a play. I decided to write about a couple who lost their baby and what their conversation would be like. It is kind of depressing but I liked writing it and I hope you enjoy.

Mark: I wonder how much cribs go for these days

Jenn: Could you be a bit more sensitive. This is hard enough as it is without making sarcastic remarks

Mark: I…I know I am sorry. But if we continue to live in the past we will never move on with our lives.

Jenn: Maybe I don’t want to move on. I don’t think you understand I can’t just move on from this. This was my life, this was my everything, I changed myself so that I could be a mother, that is who I am now. To have this ripped away from me is to take away my identity. I don’t know how to live anymore, I am so scared, I can’t move on.

Mark: You think I don’t understand, how could you think I don’t know what it is like. I may not have had him growing within me, but the idea of him, my love for him was real and it took control of me too. I have a untouched baseball glove lying in my closet, I have every Harry Potter book sitting on my bookshelf just for him, I made a list, a list of things I wanted to do with him and to teach him. I was ready to be a father, I was ready to live that life too, I changed too. But this doesn’t mean that I won’t be a father and this doesn’t mean you won’t be a mother. The timing may be wrong, but I have every faith in us and I know that one day we will have a family, no matter how long it takes.

Jenn: (Starting to cry) How do you know. We can’t predict the future we don’t know what is going to happen. Every time I go into this room I will think of what could have been. Every time I see that baseball glove, the Harry Potter books, your list of things you would do with him, it will feel like a knife in the back as a reminder that I wasn’t able to keep my baby. I don’t want to wait, I can’t. The hope for something that may never come will consume me and I won’t be able to live anymore. I will never be the same person, I am changed forever and I don’t know who I am.

Mark: It doesn’t matter who you are, because we have each other. Who better to discover yourself again with then me, someone who knows your pain and who lost the same thing you did. We will grow through this grief together. You say hope will consume you but with me it can lift you up and out of this miserable yet inevitable grief. Yes there will be times when we have to face losing him, we will have to face this every day but I am willing to face that with you because I love you. And our love for each other will allow us to survive and get through this. You have to trust me though, you have to have faith in me and us.

Jenn: (Fully sobbing now) I love you too....I am ready to start healing with you (Jenn and Mark embrace)

No comments:

Post a Comment