Thursday, May 23, 2013

Opinion of the Moon


Introduction: For this work I had to take an inanimate object and give it voice. What would it sound like if it could talk? I am always intrigued by the moon, I am aware that it is a nothing but a rock whose light is reflected by the sun, but to me it is much more. Sometimes I imagine it is God's eye looking down at earth watching over us. Anyway I decided to use that for my project. 

People think I am sick which is why I am so pale, although if they are intelligent they would be aware of the fact that my color is merely a reflection of sunlight and my health is in perfect condition. Shakespeare says that I am envious of sun. But he was wrong, he was intelligent for a human, of that I am sure, although he was very wrong. I like what I do, I love the night. I like to cover the earth in silvery silence. At night, that is when the humans become peaceful, the birds stop their chirping, and the the earth falls to a tranquil silent. That is when I come in. The sun may bring the light of the day, although that is when people are crazy, like little specs of spastic energy jumping across the surface of the earth, no rest all action. 
There is something magical about the night, and I love to contribute just a little bit to that magic. Even though everyone is asleep on the earth, and the whole planet seems to be peaceful at last, when the light of day comes the world is a different place. Water droplets of dew cover the earth and my light makes the dew sparkle in a little show of brilliance that only I get to observe.
There are some animals that come out at night, like the owl. I love to watch the owl in the night. The owl feeds off of the silence, it uses the silence to its advantage when it goes on the hunt. After the heat of the day, the night gives cool relief to some animals like the tiger. The tiger is one of the prettiest creatures of the night, and I love to share my secret world with it. All the animals of the night create a silent symphony of serenity that I have the pleasure of enjoying.  
I have been watching the earth for a very long time. I have seen species come and go, and watched the world evolve to what it is today. Humans may be the most intelligent species, although their advancement could end up being the death of them. I cannot stop the progress of the world, I am just an observer, a scientist if you will, who can not interfere with the experiment but must simply observe the world for what it is.
There are some things I cannot know simply through observation and I have accepted that. Watching the humans grow and learn is what I like to do best. I must say they are more interesting than any other species I have watched. I question whether there will ever be a species on earth as advanced. But some of their accomplishments are destructive and I can't help but wonder if they will lead themselves to destruction. There is so much I don't know and I just want to learn more, knowledge is everything to me, it brings joy to my dark life.
I am also a romantic of course. Watching the humans find their match, so to speak, is quite entertaining. I believe night is the most romantic time of day, and under my moonlight is when people are most likely to fall in love. When the humans speak about love I am often referred to. For instance “I will lasso the moon for you,” or “I love you to the moon and back.” I don’t have the ability to inspire much in humans, but I do have the ability to tend to love which I think is my most gifted talent. 
For the rest of my life, there is nothing more that I would like than to watch the busy movements of earth and to fall in love with every person in it. I want to impact each living spec on that earth in the small way I can. I can’t do much but I am the moon, and as the humans say, nothing is impossible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment