Thursday, May 23, 2013

Captain Tory


 
Introduction: For this writing assignment my creative writing teacher asked us to write a mysterious or sad story about a picture. I had a lot of fun writing this story, in fact I think it is one of my favorite pieces I've written. I wanted the reader to be guessing throughout the story what the background of the characters was by leaving little hints although I am not sure if I was successful.

I didn't like when I had to bring children on the boat. It made me sad, but I had grown accustomed to the emotion, it had become a part of me in a way, it was an occupational hazard. This particular little boy was different from the others. He didn't struggle or cry out; he just came with me, silent and with an expression of peace on his fact. I liked it when they came with me peacefully. I am guessing that this boy knew it had been coming, he had accepted his fate, he had gone through the grieving process and he was ready. He had sandy blonde hair, a striped shirt, and jeans on. His face was dry of tears and his muscles were relaxed under my firm grip of his arm. I swung the lantern three times and the schooner appeared. I could tell the boy knew where the boat would take him, where I would take him. The past was the past and he was ready to move on. There was something large in his pocket, though I wasn't sure what it was. At that moment he pulled out a baseball, how it fit in his pocket I wasn't sure, but the boy looked at this baseball and for the first time the boy genuinely seemed sad. It was worn and crusted with dirt. It was clear this ball had been well-used, a prize possession of the boy. He pulled his arm from my grip with ease as I was hypnotized by the peculiar actions of this boy. He took the ball and put it in my hand as a single tear came down his face. I felt the ball in my hand, each scrape, each bump, each imperfection; I took it and nodded at the boy as if we had exchanged some secret understanding. The boy then fixed his eyes on the boat that was steadily approaching. He coughed once, no twice into the blackness of the night. The boat had arrived, it was time.

No comments:

Post a Comment