Thursday, May 23, 2013

Appointment With Love

Introduction: For this piece we were given the beginning of a story and meant to write the ending. Basically the beginning of the story was about a soldier who had fallen in love with a girl he was writing letters to but when he finally met her she was ugly and not what he expected.

There was something familiar about her, as if they were somehow connected. Bladford couldn't place it but somehow he knew her. Those creases and wrinkles were oddly recognizable although who it was, Bladford wasn't quite sure.
Helen limped over to him and tenderly reached out to caress his face. "You've grown," she said as her eyes watered.
"How do I know you," he asked mystified.
"You must forgive me, I was young and afraid you see," she whispered,"I just could --" she tried to keep talking but her emotions took over and all the sudden tears started flowing from her eyes and she sobbed uncontollably.
"What do you mean Helen, I am so confused," Bradford asked still attempting to get a grip on the situation.
Once she had caught her breath Helen pulled herself together and explained, "I was 16 when I became pregnant with you, so I had to give you up, to give you a better life. It was the hardest thing I've ever done but when your adopted parents told me you were off in the war, I couldn't stay away," she explained. "I simply had to contact you, and I didn't tell you who I was because I wanted to see you in person first, it wasn't something you could just write over a letter."
Suddenly Bradford realized what was going on, his mother, his real mother, was finally standing right in front of him. He had been writing to her the whole time and not even known.
"There is so much...... I mean so much time has passed....," said Bradford suddenly losing the ability to speak.
"I know," said Helen putting her head down, "I know I have missed a lot, but I don't plan on missing anymore. I don't expect you to forgive me, or even want to know me, but I want to know you more than anything. Your life, your experiences that a mother is meant to share with their children, will never be regained, although I can see that you have grown into a good man that I am proud of and I can't wait for you to share your life with me."
Bradford couldn't help but feel happy. He knew he should have been angry with his mother, at what she had done to him and how she had never tried to contact him until the war, although he loved. He knew whoever was writing the letters he would love, he had assumed he would find a partner for life, a sweetheart, although he found his mother and he felt he could love no one more.
"I must say that I am upset that you didn't try to contact me before the war, I would have liked to know my real mother, although I want to know you and I would like you to know the real me too."
Helen just smiled and then hugged her son, a hug long awaited.
"So," said Helen, "Where to begin."

1 comment:

  1. I had never even thought to continue the story this way! I love the twist

    ReplyDelete